So as I mentioned in an earlier post, I finished making my first ever garment from a vintage pattern! (Well actually I finished it at the end of last year but it’s taken me until now to work out how to take decent photos without the assistance of a friendly photographer! I know, shame on me, call myself a blogger and all, how embarrassing!)
This is my “Arms Akimbo Pose”
Butterick Pattern 6887 – I made View B
I did cut out a muslin/chair, sewed it up (including very roughly putting a zip in the side), and was actually quite pleased with the result. I also learnt a bit about putting in a collar, I was glad of the practice so that when I came to sew the real thing, my collar went in much easier than it might have!
The top has kimono / dolman / magyar sleeves. I think it depends what source you look at to determine which term is correct, but basically the sleeve is just an extension of the bodice, not a separate piece of fabric. This creates extra fabric in front of and behind the arm, but if your fabric is quite drapey, then it still looks fine (oh, but my fabric isn’t drapey, never mind!). The fit around the waist was quite snug, but I quite liked it as it emphasised the shape of the bust and since it’s cut on the bias, it stretched quite nicely so I didn’t feel restricted. No photos of the muslin/chair – too boring.
My “Sunglasses Pose”
Yippee! The Great British Sewing Bee is back in all it’s glory! It’s series 3 and I was wondering how they were going to make it more difficult and/or find better sewers than series 2. Well there’s certainly some very competent sewers this time round and I can’t wait to see how they all get on!
You’ve got 7 minutes sewers!
If you’re a sewer, have you ever asked yourself “I wonder how I would get on making that item of clothing in the time frame they’ve been given?”
I thought so!
Has anyone tried it at home? If you have I’d love to hear how you got on 🙂
“Enough of the collecting of vintage patterns, I need to make a garment from one!” I decided the other day. I made a few decisions about what my first project should be:
- I thought I’d start off with a simple top, nothing too complicated, so that if it all went pear-shaped, I wouldn’t have wasted too much effort or fabric.
- I wanted to use a “real” vintage pattern, you know, the ones where the pattern pieces are not printed, but are just pre-cut shapes with mysterious holes punched in them!
- I wanted to use a pattern which was my size, but if it was out by one size then that wouldn’t be too bad as I think I could probably handle that – I didn’t want too many challenges all at once!
So I dived into my expanded collection of patterns (I will do another post with pictures of all my latest ones) and found the perfect pattern, it’s a cute, not overly-fitted top, one size too small, with unprinted pattern pieces. In fact it’s one of the first vintage patterns I bought – Butterick 2179
Butterick Pattern 2179
Well, over the past few weeks I’ve managed to increase my vintage pattern collection quite considerably!
You can get some real treasures on ebay – I won an auction for a lot of 12 vintage patterns and it was like Xmas when I opened up the parcel!
Here is a selection of my favourite recently acquired pre-loved vintage patterns:
Unfortunately Maudella patterns never seem to have a year printed on the envelope or the sewing instruction sheet, which is a real shame. So I’m guessing this pattern is from the early 60’s, maybe late 50’s. I can’t wait to make this one, I think it’s rather unusual. Talking about unusual Maudella patterns, how about this one?
Woo hoo! I’m a proper blogger now – I have real comments on my blog posts, not just the spam comments you always get! I’m a happy bunny! (It doesn’t take much, I know 😉 )
Ok, back to what I intended to write about . . .
About a year ago, one of my friends said to me that I should wear 50’s style dresses, (you know the type, fitted bodice and big pouffy skirts), as they would suit me. Funnily enough, just the day before, I’d been looking at 50’s fashion and had decided that I should try to make myself a 50’s style dress! It was obviously meant to be!
So I searched and found two reproductions of vintage patterns that I liked.
Vintage Vogue Pattern 2903
Butterick Retro ’56 Pattern 5603
I couldn’t decide which one I liked best, so I bought them both of course! I’ve made a dress from one of the patterns (the Vintage Vogue) and it was the most complicated pattern I’ve ever sewn! Anyway, that will be the topic of another blog post, so I’ll jump ahead a little now.