I am very proud to announce that the Sewing Pattern Buddy app for Android has finally been released!!!
The Home Screen
Basically, it allows you to catalogue your entire pattern collection (PDFs & books included) – it’s like having your entire pattern collection at your fingertips, no matter where you are! You can search, sort and filter your patterns to find the exact pattern you want, and see it’s details, in detail!
Check out the video below for a quick overview – I apologise for the music choice, it seemed like a good idea at the time! 😀
So I just want to explain a little bit about how I came to write the Sewing Pattern Buddy app.
When Simplicity announced it’s Simplicity Sewing Challenge, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to enter my first ever judged sewing challenge/competition. Of course, I had to enter the Vintage Section, even though it was a halter neck top, which is a style of clothing I just don’t wear any more. Oh well, a challenge in more ways than one then! Here is the pattern:
The vintage pattern for the Simplicity Challenge
And here is my version I am entering into the challenge:
My 1970’s Outfit for the Simplicity Sewing Challenge 2016 – Vintage Section
I fully intended for my next post to be about one of my many completed items. However, a lack of completed item photos has scuppered that plan!
So, I thought it was about time I shared a few of my favourite vintage patterns, which I haven’t shown before in any posts. Without further ado then . . .
I love all of these!
I just love these playsuit and holiday outfit patterns. I think the Maudella has to be my favourite, but I also fancy making the top half of the Reveille playsuit as a top. Isn’t the Bestway lady classy!
I won these patterns in a giveaway! How lucky am I!
The 1945 Simplicity pattern on the left has a very interesting wrap over skirt type thing going on which I rather like. And the jagged neckline on the right hand pattern from the 1950’s is a bit unusual.
The time finally arrived when my vintage pattern stash started to take over the house. What started as “I just have to have that vintage sewing pattern and then I’ll be happy” turned into “but I can’t let that lot of 28 vintage patterns go to just anyone, I have to protect them!” Am I bonkers? Probably!
So as I mentioned in an earlier post, I finished making my first ever garment from a vintage pattern! (Well actually I finished it at the end of last year but it’s taken me until now to work out how to take decent photos without the assistance of a friendly photographer! I know, shame on me, call myself a blogger and all, how embarrassing!)
This is my “Arms Akimbo Pose”
Butterick Pattern 6887 – I made View B
I did cut out a muslin/chair, sewed it up (including very roughly putting a zip in the side), and was actually quite pleased with the result. I also learnt a bit about putting in a collar, I was glad of the practice so that when I came to sew the real thing, my collar went in much easier than it might have!
The top has kimono / dolman / magyar sleeves. I think it depends what source you look at to determine which term is correct, but basically the sleeve is just an extension of the bodice, not a separate piece of fabric. This creates extra fabric in front of and behind the arm, but if your fabric is quite drapey, then it still looks fine (oh, but my fabric isn’t drapey, never mind!). The fit around the waist was quite snug, but I quite liked it as it emphasised the shape of the bust and since it’s cut on the bias, it stretched quite nicely so I didn’t feel restricted. No photos of the muslin/chair – too boring.
Yippee! The Great British Sewing Bee is back in all it’s glory! It’s series 3 and I was wondering how they were going to make it more difficult and/or find better sewers than series 2. Well there’s certainly some very competent sewers this time round and I can’t wait to see how they all get on!
You’ve got 7 minutes sewers!
If you’re a sewer, have you ever asked yourself “I wonder how I would get on making that item of clothing in the time frame they’ve been given?”
I thought so!
Has anyone tried it at home? If you have I’d love to hear how you got on 🙂
“Enough of the collecting of vintage patterns, I need to make a garment from one!” I decided the other day. I made a few decisions about what my first project should be:
I thought I’d start off with a simple top, nothing too complicated, so that if it all went pear-shaped, I wouldn’t have wasted too much effort or fabric.
I wanted to use a “real” vintage pattern, you know, the ones where the pattern pieces are not printed, but are just pre-cut shapes with mysterious holes punched in them!
I wanted to use a pattern which was my size, but if it was out by one size then that wouldn’t be too bad as I think I could probably handle that – I didn’t want too many challenges all at once!
So I dived into my expanded collection of patterns (I will do another post with pictures of all my latest ones) and found the perfect pattern, it’s a cute, not overly-fitted top, one size too small, with unprinted pattern pieces. In fact it’s one of the first vintage patterns I bought – Butterick 2179